Adding a Neater Feeder to your list of pet supplies is an all-around great move (especially if your furry friend loves to eat fast and make a mess). This unique feeder isn’t your average pet dish, creating a cleaner and healthier mealtime environment. However, to continue to reap the many benefits of this pet-feeding powerhouse, you need to know how to keep your Neater Feeder clean.
Top 10 Reasons Your Pet Needs the Neater Feeder
Don’t have a Neater Feeder yet? Check out these great benefits:
- It creates a healthier eating environment for your pet.
- The elevated food bowl helps improve digestion and reduce joint pain.
- It features a patented filtration system that collects water in the bottom basin, keeping it out of your pet’s food.
- A handy splash guard keeps water off of your walls and floors.
- It’s made in the USA with BPA-free plastic.
- The removable stainless steel bowls add extra convenience.
- The feeder and bowls are top-rack dishwasher-safe.
- You can choose from multiple sizes and colors, as well as two main styles -- the Express and the Deluxe.
- Leg extensions are available for the Deluxe Neater Feeder if you need to add height.
- The Neater Feeder works great for dogs and cats.
(Learn more about the Neater Feeder and how it makes mealtimes easier, cleaner, and healthier.)
Six Tips for Cleaning Your Neater Feeder
In 2011, a study conducted by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF), determined pet bowls to be the fourth germiest place in the home. Other research suggests it could rank even higher, and ickier, on the list.
The reality is that your pet’s water bowl is a perfect breeding ground for dangerous bacteria, including E. coli and MRSA. These harmful bacteria present a danger to your pet, you, and others in the household. Therefore, it’s essential to take proper care of your dog’s and cat’s dishes.
Check out these six tips for properly cleaning your Neater Feeder.
1. Clean the Neater Feeder Regularly
The recommendation is to clean the Neater Feeder once a week. However, if you have an exceptionally messy pet, you might want to clean the feeder more often. If you ever notice food debris or caked-on food, wash the feeder.
2. Wash the Bowls Every Day
Although you only need to clean the Neater Feeder once a week, keep in mind the bowls are another story. It’s essential to wash your pet’s food and water bowl every day to reduce the risk of harboring yucky bacteria. If you serve your pet wet food, it’s good practice to wash the food bowl after each meal.
3. Don’t Forget to Empty the Reservoir
One of the great features of the Neater Feeder is how it keeps water off of your pet’s food. The water filters through to the basin below. Therefore, don’t forget to empty it at least twice a week. Once again, if your pet likes to make a mess, you may need to empty the reservoir more often.
4. The Dishwasher Is Great for Easy Cleanup
The Neater Feeder and the stainless steel bowls are top-rack dishwasher safe, making cleanup a breeze. Load the bowls up at the end of the day and wash with your regular load of dishes.
5. No Dishwasher? No problem.
If you don’t have a dishwasher, or your dishwasher or sink is too small to accommodate your Neater Feeder, use your bathtub. You can also use a washtub or large bin outside to wash the Neater Feeder. Use a sponge and dish soap to clean, rinse under the tap or with the hose, and dry thoroughly.
6. Avoid Leaving the Neater Feeder Outdoors
The Neater Feeder is intended for indoor use. Also, the stainless steel bowls get hot on warm days, which can raise the temperature of your pet’s food and water. However, you can use it outdoors with the proper precautions.
Always bring the Neater Feeder inside and clean it promptly after any outdoor use. In general, no matter what type of food bowl you use outside, always pick up food to avoid attracting bugs. If you notice bugs, clean the feeder immediately and ensure you’re cleaning it often.
Your Pet Deserves the Best (and That Includes a Clean Bowl)
Your furry friend is more than your pet, they’re a part of your family. And that’s why they deserve the best. Keep your pet healthy and happy with top products like the Neater Feeder, and make sure to clean their dishes regularly. For more helpful tips on caring for your pets, make sure to check out the rest of the Neater Pets blog.