When it comes to thinking of your feline friend’s perfect name, it takes a lot of thought and consideration. After all, cats have a distinct personality all their own, and many of them might even appear to snub their nose at a name they don’t like. It’s a cat thing.
There are endless options for what to call your cat, but finding the name that is the best fit for your finicky friend is not always an easy task. That’s why it’s good to have so many possibilities to choose from, with this list of top cat names sure to help you find the best match for your pet!
How Do You Choose the Perfect Name for Your Cat?
Depending on how your cat comes into your life, whether you choose her, or more likely, she chooses you; she might already have a name. A previous owner could have named her, or if she is from a shelter, the staff might have dubbed her with a friendly moniker.
If your cat already has a name, you might get lucky and it’s already perfect just the way it is. However, you might decide a new name is a must. You can wait a few days to get a feel for your cat’s personality, or you can take some inspiration from the colors of her coat or how you got her. You can even name your cat after some of her curious habits, although you might want to steer clear of calling your cat Scarf and Barf.
You might even opt to name your cat after a former favorite pet or even a particular person, but whatever name you choose, it needs to be a good fit. Whether you take a long time to carefully weigh your options or you already have the perfect name picked out for your cat, the choice is up to you! (Although your cat will probably have quite a bit of input too).
Why Is Choosing Your Cat’s Name Such a Big Deal?
Cats are known for being particular; they have certain things they like to do, certain people they want to be around, and they also seem to have an opinion about their names. A name says a lot about a person (and your pet), so it’s understandable to want a perfect name.
Plus, whatever name you bestow on your pet, you’re likely to be saying it often. Therefore, make sure you choose a name that you don’t mind repeating.
50 of the Top Cat Names of 2021
Whether you already have the best name in mind for your kitty or you have no clue, it’s always nice to have some suggestions at your fingertips! This list of 50 cat names is a great way to start searching for your kitty’s name; now, all you need is your cat’s approval!
Here are 50 of the top cat names for 2021 (in alphabetical order), with a few built-in suggestions on how you can pinpoint the best match for your feline friend:
- Angel (After over two very challenging years, it’s no surprise that people find this name so popular.)
- Bella (This name still remains a favorite, meaning “beautiful” in Italian and also popular thanks to the Twilight series).
- Callie (This name is a fun choice for Calico cats.)
- Cleo (You can’t deny this shortened version of Cleopatra makes a suitable cat name; after all, Egyptians worshipped cats.)
- Duchess (Not only is this the perfect-sounding name for your regal kitty, but it’s also great for Disney fans, stemming from the popular animated classic The Aristocats.)
- Figaro (This is the popular Disney kitten from Pinocchio and also Minnie Mouse’s cat. Since Disney celebrates its 50th Anniversary this year, you’ll likely see a lot of Disney references popping up in pet names).
- Gizmo (This name is still a great fit for a cute little kitty, from the popular 1980s movie Gremlins.)
- Kitty (Yep, this simple cat name remains a classic favorite. Sometimes, simple is best.)
- Mario (Many people name their pets after their favorite video game characters.)
- Oliver (Oliver also is high up on the list of popular baby names this year, and well, for many, their pets are also their babies.)
- Oreo (This classic name for black-and-white cats always seems to pop up on lists of favorite cat names, no matter what the year.)
- Orion (A popular constellation and the perfect inspiration for the star in your life, your feline friend.)
- Ringo (It’s not uncommon to name your pet after your favorite musician, like this member of the Beatles.)
- Simba (Another Disney reference, and the ultimate king--from The Lion King.)
- Smokey (Still a long-standing favorite choice for grey cats.)
- Tigger (Always a favorite for orange tabby cats and fans of the famous character from the Winnie the Pooh series.)
Show Off Your Cat’s Name
When you find the perfect name for your cat, you want to share it with the world! You can put your cat’s name on her dishes and bowls, her bed and litter box, get her a personalized collar, and even let her tame her claws on a scratching post emblazoned with her initials.
While putting your cat’s name on her litter scooper might be a quirky way to show off her name, don’t forget about one of the most important places for your pet’s calling card - her ID tag. Even if you never plan to let your cat outside, you never know what your curious kitty will do.
As soon as you have chosen a name for your pet, get an identification tag made for her collar. The tag should include your cat’s name and at least your phone number.
If your cat gets lost, a collar and ID tag lets people know she belongs to someone. She can return home to you quickly when someone finds her. Even though a rabies tag can help identify your cat, as can getting her microchipped, having a personal ID tag is a great way to provide extra assurance of your furry friend’s safety.
Does Your Cat Know Their Name?
Although you might not be up to the challenge of teaching your cat fun tricks like you would a dog, she needs to know her name. But, once you’ve found the right name for your cat, how do you get her to realize it?
Repetition works best, simply saying the name over and over and rewarding your kitty with a tasty treat when she acknowledges her name. Positive reinforcement is an excellent tool for teaching your pets new things.
Eventually, she’ll catch on that her name is how you identify her. Of course, being an independent feline, she might choose to ignore her name now and then, but that’s her prerogative.
Did your cat’s name make it on the list of the top cat names? You might decide to choose a name not on the list simply to make your cat stand out from the crowd. The best part about picking your cat’s name is that the sky's the limit!No matter what you choose to name your cat, you know her the best, so you’ll just know it when you find the right name! For more helpful tips about taking care of your pets, check out the rest of our blog! We’re always adding informative articles and useful resources on all sorts of topics so you can be a fantastic pet parent!